9.12.2012

#5a. The Happiness Trap (Revisited)

Since first reading this book 4 months ago, I've implemented many of the ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) principles and have found that I am an even happier, healthier, and productive individual.  I have a better grasp of how I should react to whatever emotion decides to cross my path on any given day, it has become habit to make every action meaningful and mindful, and I've become even more content with life.  I spent the last two days skimming through the main points of this book, and because I still think it's a fantastic resource, I've decided to advertise it a second time :]

I've been feeling somewhat burned out recently, and with this, my brain also decided to amplify other issues which weren't a big deal up until yesterday, mainly how much I miss home, my family and friends, and, most of all, my old life in Los Angeles.  I decided I needed a quick "Happiness Trap" refresher, and it's done the trick!  True, the feelings of longing for home and the familiar haven't disappeared, but I've accepted their presence and, as soon as I've posted this, will redirect my thoughts and energy to chiseling away at my ever growing mountain of school work, instead of brooding, which is what I've been doing for the past two days.

SO, if you haven't read this book, I still recommend you put in the time to do so!!!  Who couldn't use a few extra pointers on how to better lead a mindful and meaningful life?  

Here's the link to the review I wrote in May:

Happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. there are no mountains of school work, in one slice of time there is only one slice of knowledge and your mind is constantly refreshing endlessly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack, you really are awesome! So glad we're friends :)

    ReplyDelete