7.14.2012

#13: All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

Fulghum, Robert: All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten. New York: Random House, 1988. Print. 196 pages.
-
SUMMARY: A collection of random thoughts by the author with the premise that "most of what [he] really need[s] to know about how to live and what to do and how to be [he] learned in kindergarten."
-
FAVORITE QUOTE: "In fact, the only change [with Crayola crayons] has been to rename the 'flesh' color 'peach.'  That's a sign of progress." - page 48.  
-
This is another book that I've passed by frequently in my parents' home.  It's been lying in the same spot on the bookshelf in my childhood room for years, most likely left there after my sister read it years ago.  It seemed like an interesting read, but apparently not interesting enough until recently I guess.  It's kind of fun to think that all the major lessons in living were learned by the age of five...
-
Things I liked about this book:
  1. It's a collection of the author's own records of his stream of thought at various times in life.  Any written record of conscious thought is amusing to read.  Just think about how amusing your own thoughts are, and then think about how much fun other people would have reading these thoughts.  I completed a similar task sometime in elementary school.  We were given 5 minutes to write and write and write every little thought that crossed our minds, and it was a fun and freeing exercise.  Even in adulthood, I find it beneficial to carry out this exercise when I have a cluttered mind, and I highly recommend you giving it a go.
  2. The author writes extensively about really random, not often thought about topics, like jumper cables, butterflies, and mowing lawns v. leaving it au naturale.  
  3. It's a quick, easy, leisurely read.
Things I didn't like about this book:
  1. The book was separated into multiple sections, but I was unable to pick up on any pattern as to how the author decided on the partitions.  It was not organized enough for my liking.
  2. It ends really abruptly, which is done on purpose by the author (he tells you he is going to end in this manner), but, as the reader, it left me feeling wholly unsatisfied, like I didn't get the main point behind why the author decided to write this book.
-
It's a short little read, and thus I will make this a short little review.  Read the book, take it for what it is, and enjoy it :)
-
Recommend?  If you have a free minute, then yes.  No rush to get to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment