12.21.2015

#66: Neverwhere

Gaiman, Neil: Neverwhere. New York: HarperCollins books, 2003. Print. 370 pages. 
-
SETTING: London, England.
-
SUMMARY: Richard Mayhew, a Scottish-born businessman working in London, finds himself trapped in London "Below" after helping an injured stranger he finds on the street, who is from London Below.  His existence is completely erased in London "Above," with neither his friends nor his ex-fiance recognizing him.  The stranger he initially helped, along with two others from London Below, are on a mysterious quest, and Richard attaches himself to them in hopes of finding help to return to his normal life in London Above.  
-
FAVORITE QUOTE: "'How old are you?' asked Door.  Richard was pleased she had asked; he would never have dared.

'As old as my tongue,' said Hunter, primly, 'and a little older than my teeth.'" - Chapter 10, page 225.
-
I bought this book when my connecting flight at the Denver airport was delayed an extra three hours on top of the already long 3-hour layover.  The airport bookstore was cute, and they had an entire table dedicated to Neil Gaiman.  The simplicity of the cover is what first caught my eye, and, since I liked what the back cover had to say about the book, I decided to buy it.  It also helped that all of his books proudly displayed the fact that he is a "#1 New York Times Bestseller Author."  Usually can't go wrong with that, right?
-
Things I liked about this book:
  1. Fantasy!  One of my favorite genres.  
  2. The alternate world of London Below.  I thought it was fun that the author created a magical underground world in London, which happens to be one of my favorite book settings.  I love stories that take place in London!  London has a magical feel to it, so an entire underground world in London was a win-win situation in my eyes.
  3. The storyline.  It is very creative and I really enjoyed reading this book.  I read the majority at the Denver airport, sitting in a (surprisingly) cozy terminal chair while drinking a latte and eating a chocolate chip cookie.  It was probably the most comfortable airport layover + delay I've ever experienced.
  4. The idea that what is "right and normal" is not always what will bring satisfaction and contentment in life.  As I'm growing older, I've come to realize that what is expected of me in life isn't necessarily what will make me happy.  I recognize that it is a luxury that I am able to think this way and take steps to create the life that will make me happy, but that being said, since I have the opportunity, why not take advantage of it?  Going back to the book, Richard has all of his ducks in a row, and finds neither joy nor contentment in his life.  At the end of the novel, he finds that his true happiness lies in a place he could have never imagined, and I really liked that aspect of the book.
  5. The Marquis de Carabas.  He's a slimy character, but I grew very fond of him by the end of the novel.  He loves to cheat and lie, but he sincerely believes that a promise is a promise, and he consistently delivers on his promises.
    -
    Things I didn't like about this book:
    1. The ending.  It was a little bland.  Having a magical, otherworldly place as the setting gives the author a lot of room for creativity with the storyline, as was the case in this book.  However, I thought that that creativity didn't extend to the ending.  The ending was predictable and dry, which is a shame because the potential to be considerably more magical was definitely there.  
    -
    I enjoyed this book, but I wasn't all that excited about it by the end.  It was an entertaining and fun read, but I think there are better fantasy novels out there.  I might give one of his other novels a try at some point in life, but for the time being I'll probably look to other authors to provide me with the magical and fantastical worlds I so love to read.
    -
    Recommend?  Yes, but not a very enthusiastic "yes."

    No comments:

    Post a Comment