6.21.2013

#31: Eragon

Paolini, Christopher: Eragon. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2002. Print. 497 pages.
-
SETTING: Various regions on the fictional continent, Alagaƫsia.
-
SUMMARY: Initially inspired to take this journey to have revenge for the death of his uncle, Eragon and his dragon Saphira find themselves on an even greater journey to fight the corrupt king of AlagaĆ«sia, King Galbatorix.
-
FAVORITE QUOTE: "'People have an annoying habit of remembering things they shouldn't.'" - page 172.
-
I started reading this book a few years ago, and, although I can't remember when or who I borrowed it from, I thought it was a decent read.  Obviously I wasn't that intrigued, otherwise I would have finished it.  During my last trip to the library I was being very indecisive; I like the cover of this book and I was looking for a fantasy, so I decided to give it another go.
-
Things I liked about this book:
  1. It's written by a 15-year-old!  Or, the author was 15 when he started writing it.  Pretty impressive!
  2. Fantasy!  Dragons!  Magic!
  3. The author takes the time to give a background history of this fictional continent, and does so very clearly.  
  4. Easy to remember the character's names, which was great because there are some really foreign names.
  5. Brom's character.  I like the mystery surrounding him.
  6. The different languages the author makes up.
Things I didn't like about this book:
  1. The story line could have been much more complex.  I guess I shouldn't fault the book, considering it falls into the "young adult" genre, but there's definitely a lot more that could have been done.
  2. Saphira's character is annoying.  It's on purpose, I'm sure, because she is supposed to be a juvenile dragon, but it's annoying nonetheless.
-
This was a decent enough book.  I enjoyed it, but I'm going to focus the rest of my reading time this summer to the second and third books in A Song of Ice and Fire
-
Recommend?  Sure, it's a fun and relaxing read.

No comments:

Post a Comment